Leap seating provides a high performance, ergonomic solution for any office.
Benefits & features
- The flexible backrest ensures that the back is always fully supported.
- The separate upper and lower back controls can be adjusted to provide full support to any user.
- The dynamic seat takes the pressure off the spine when reclining.
- The optional headrest relieves pressure in the neck.
- Sustainability: Leap is up to 98% recyclable and contains no hazardous materials.
- Stool version available
- Leap Plus available. Leap Plus offers the same benefits, aesthetic appeal, and functionality of Leap with support for users up to 500 lbs.
- Adjustable lumbar support
- Chair frame available in black, midnight (solar black), platinum, or dress up your Leap chair with the polished aluminum frame
Leap available armless, with height adjustable arms, or with height, depth, width and pivot adjustable arms.
Available with Steelcase and Designtex fabric, leather, or vinyl as well as COM (customer’s own material) 3D Knit material available on the chair back with matching fabric seat, or with a seat fabric of your choice
The Leap chair has been tested for up to 300 lbs. The Leap chair is backed by the Steelcase North America Lifetime Warranty.
The Leap chair was designed with your well-being in mind. It was also designed with the planet’s well-being in mind.
Working with McDonough Braungart Design Chemistry (MBDC), we re-examined the materials and processes used to create our top selling chair. MBDC analyzed all materials in the Leap chair for their impact on human and environmental health according to their strict protocols, as well as identifying any materials that didn’t meet their scrutiny. The Leap chair contains no PVCs, CFCs, solvents, chrome, benzene, lead or mercury. Through steps we’ve taken to evaluate and improve the Leap chair’s environmental performance, Leap has received Silver Cradle to Cradle™ Product Certification from MBDC.
The Leap chair is level™ 2 certified to the BIFMA e3 sustainability standard. According to BIFMA, the level™ conformance mark ensures a comprehensive, independent and impartial assessment of the environmental and social impacts of a product’s manufacture. level makes it easy to identify products that have been evaluated against a consensus-based, multi-attribute sustainability standard.
A few more environmental facts about Leap:
- The Leap chair is up to 98% recyclable by weight, depending on the options selected, and made of up to 30% recycled content.
- Leap manufacturing uses powder-coated paints, water-based adhesives and VOC-free manufacturing processes.
- The cushioning in the back upholstery is made from 50% post-consumer PET (for example, recycled plastic soda and water bottles) and is 100% recyclable.
- To reduce packaging waste, the Leap chair is blanket wrapped (not boxed) for domestic shipment. And throughout the manufacturing process, our suppliers use reusable parts containers to further reduce waste.
- Through implementing leaner manufacturing processes, we were able to reduce the amount of manufacturing space used to produce Leap by 74%, resulting in a significant reduction in the amount of energy used in production.
- The Leap chair is designed for a long life. To ensure that happens, back cushions, seat assembly, arms, and lumbar support can be added, changed, or replaced at any time.
- Leap is SCS Indoor Advantage™ Gold certified for indoor air quality. The program tests and certifies products for compliance with USGBC LEED EQ4.5 (furniture and seating).
View Leap’s Product Environmental Profile.
Adjusting your Leap chair
The Leap chair was developed based on the finding of four years of research, 27 scientists, 11 studies and 732 test participants. Out of this research came important discoveries about how people sit, leading to advanced seating technology.
The Leap chair’s back moves as your back moves. Its arms move as your arms move. Its seat moves as your seat moves. It’s the first chair that actually changes shape to mimic and support the movement of your spine.
Ergonomic features of the Leap chair include:
The Leap chair’s back changes shape to support the entire spine. This can reduce the chance of lower back sag and a hunched posture, which weakens disc walls, stresses back ligaments and causes deterioration of the spine.
b. Thermal Comfort
Thanks to slats in both its back and seat, and the special foam it uses, the Leap chair offers excellent “breathability”. It effectively controls a balance of heat and moisture so you stay comfortable.
c. Adjustable Seat Depth
People don’t fit neatly into average body sizes. Leg and torso lengths can vary independent of a person’s overall height. Adjustable seat depth accommodates different body shapes for long-term comfort.
d. Lower Back Firmness
Lower back firmness control enables you to set a constant amount of firmness to help maintain your lower spine’s natural curve.
e. Height, Depth, Width, and Pivot Arms
Arms telescope in and out, move forward and back, pivot and adjust up and down so you can find a natural position that comfortably supports the wrists, forearms, shoulders and neck.
f. Natural Glide System™
As you recline, the seat glides forward so you can recline without leaving your Vision and Reach Zone, so you stay oriented to your work. This encourages more varied postures so there’s less static load on the spine.
g. Flexible Seat Edge
When you recline or lean forward, the seat edge flexes to relieve pressure on the back of the legs.
h. Upper Back Force
Upper back force control enables you to set the amount of “push back” that you desire as you recline, regardless of body size. So you’ll receive just the right amount of recline support.
- Play Adjustment Video – English
- Play Interactive User Guide – English
- Play Interactive User Guide – French
- Play Interactive User Guide – Spanish
- Download Interactive User Guide – English (zipped exe – 27.2MB)
- Download Interactive User Guide – French (zipped exe – 27.5MB)
- Download Interactive User Guide-Spanish (zipped exe – 29.1MB)
- Download Interactive User Guide Arabic (zipped exe – 6.8MB)
For more info on ergonomics and the healthy office, go to the Ergonomics section of our site.
QR codes help users learn how to properly adjust the Leap chair.
To help users quickly find information on how to properly adjust their chairs to be more comfortable, Steelcase will be adding QR codes to the arms of its best selling ergonomic task chairs, such as Leap (available fall 2011).
How does the QR code work?
Once a user scans the QR code with a mobile device, they are taken to a mobile-friendly site that plays an interactive video showing chair adjustments.
The QR code connects users to information about their chair that is relevant to them:
– how to adjust the chair
– how to clean the chair
– how they can purchase a chair for their home office
The Leap adjustability video demonstrates how easy it is to adjust your Leap chair.